Thursday, March 5, 2009

A WAY OUT OF ....

As Bill Sees It" Free Of Dependence,"( p. 63 )

I asked myself, "Why can't the Twelve Steps work to release me from this unbearable depression?" By the hour, I stared at the St.Francis Prayer: ..."It is better to comfort than to be comforted."Suddenly I realized what the answer might be. My basic flaw had always been dependence on people or circumstances to supply me with prestige, security, and confidence. Failing to get these things according to my perfectionists dreams and specifications, I fought for them... And when defeat came, so did my depression....

Reinforced by what GRACE I could find in prayer, I had to exert every ounce of will and action to cut off these faulty emotional dependencies upon people and upon circumstances.

Then only could I be FREE to Love as Francis had loved.-----Grapevine, January 1958


The St Francis Prayer is amazing..... and I'm glad it found its way to A.A. there is an element of "awe" when I hear this Prayer read in an AA meeting... I dunno... its a beautiful intertwining of saints and sinners... and that we might, just might be able to do the right thing for 24 hours... cause thats all we really got.

Winds of March blowing hard today.... and so comes another change of Seasons
...

No comments:

Post a Comment